* Repurposing & resuse
Humans have likely been quoting, borrowing, reworking, plagarising, as long as we've had cultural. But int the 20th century, reuse became a mania...
There are examples of reuse in all artforms. We're going to focus on sound/music and visual art today.
Most of the modern conversation about reuse in music has centered on questions about $$$, copyright, IP, etc. I think that's unfortunate. While those are important questions, they're not generally issues that drive creativity.
Some non-comprehensive sound/music reuse/sampling people/trends/landmarks:
Visual art examples...
- wikipedia sampling history
- Cage: Williams Mix (1952) -- cut up with purpose-recorded sounds
- John Cage plays radios on What's My Line (1960) (although he doesn't!)
- Jim Tenney: Collage #1 (Blue Suede) (1961)
- Brion Gysin/William S. Burroughs/Beatles radio recording cut ups (1960s)
- hip hop, early DJ culture: audio gear and recordings as pop instruments (1970/80s)
- sound system battles, dub music, dub plates ("switzerland's first"!!!)
- THE BRONX
- DJ Kool Herc, Grandmaster Flash, Afrika Bambaataa, many others
- donk in Northern England (and worldwide), techno brega in Northern Brazil
- The John Oswald * * * / Negativeland scandals
- Christian Marclay: mini-doc
- Innumerable YouTube-based remakes:
- AaRoOoWwZz: YouTube found footage sound collage (not all sampling is of commercial music!)
- compilation of 50 cent "In Da Club" clips
- Beyonce's "Single Ladies (put a ring on it)"
- Leeroy Jenkins Remix
- Girl Talk: creates a mashup
- N.W.A. Explicit Content Only
- Radiohead gets it backwards: My Radiohead Adventure / Idioteque
- Rihanna's Umbrella vs. Garage Band?
- Joe Cocker: subtitled
- StSanders shreds videos: Steve Vai shreds Eddie Van Halen shreds
- YouTube Doubler: Usher vs. goat
- okay, I give up, this could go on forever!
* Artist presentations: Ji & Isla
* Taking things apart -- what's reusable in electro-mechanical debris?
Assignment: Repurpose something. You will present your repurposings in class next week.