This applet uses FM to create a variety of sounds. Each row has a sine wave oscillator.
- Wait for separate editor window to appear. (Note: The envelope editor may not appear on some computers.)
- Select instruments from the menu such as Bell or Clarinet. Click the
Play Keys button. Play the keyboard to hear notes.
- Select Simple instrument. Uncheck box labeled 1 to hear carrier with
no modulation. Check it again to turn on modulation.
- Change the Index in the second row to increase or decrease the amount
- Change the freqMult in the second row to change the frequency ratio.
Try typing in a new value and hit Enter.
- Hearcheck this to hear the output of an oscillator.
- 1,2,3,4check one of these to request modulation by another oscillator.
- Sustcheck this to cause the envelope to stick on the second point and sustain its level.
- Fixedcheck this to use a fixed frequency for an oscillator. Otherwise the frequency will be determined by playing keys on the keyboard.
- EnvelopeEditormove points, or add new points to shape an oscillators amplitude. Shift-click a point to remove it.
- frequencyset frequency of oscillator in Hz. (FixedFreq must
- freqMultscale the frequency from the keyboard by this amount.
(FixedFreq must be unchecked.) Controls the "carrier:modulator
- depthscale the amount of modulation input. Normally set to 1.0.
- indexamount of modulation is "index * modulatorFrequency."
- amplitude(DB)controls loudness in decibels.
- BellOp#0 modulated by Op#1. Envelopes decay rapidly like a bell. FreqMult set to "1.4," which gives complex enharmonic spectrum.
- Brassuses "sustain" to hold note while key pressed.
Vibrato provided by Op#2 has delayed start because of envelope rising
late. Vibrato frequency set to fixed low value by checking Fixed box.
Vibrato frequency does not change with key pressed.
- Trumpet - you can hear output of Ops 1, 2, and 3. Ops 2 and 3 provide
slightly detuned harmonics. Vibrato from Op#3.
- Woozy - slowly rising modulation envelope provides "wah"-like
©Burk/Polansky/Repetto/Roberts/Rockmore. All rights reserved.